Wednesday, August 17, 2011

NWOTM: 30 years from now

J.M. over at the Lunar Hypnosis blog has a review up for Havok's Time Is Up album. He mentions that some of the songs on the album could have been written 25 years ago, during the early days of thrash.

This reminded me of something I posted a while back about how thrash is backward compatible.

I then read a line in J.M.'s post that made me smile.

"What I'm trying to say is that thrash then and now is timeless and music like this has been a blast for the first thirty years of my life and assuming I don't drink myself stupid one day I'll hopefully be jammin' to this stuff for another thirty years to come."

I agree with J.M.!

I believe that 30 years from now, there will be teens who grew up listening to their dad's (or mom's!) Havok, Warbringer, and Municipal Waste albums. Some of these kids will start bands, churning out more slabs of traditional, undiluted thrash metal. Record deals will be made, and people will pay attention - another New Wave of Thrash? Yes!

Since thrash will never go away despite what is happening in the music climate, there will always be a new New Wave of Thrash Metal, and I love that. New bands will come out of the woodwork to either keep the classic thrash sound going or to add their own spin to the genre. These future metal giants will be part of the new NWOTM, and those bands which influenced them such as Toxic Holocaust and Evile will be considered old-school.

Can you just hear the future Lenny Troo Frashers? "I hate this modern crap! These bands are just ripping off the old-school masters such as Havok and Bonded By Blood!"

Come back to this post in 25 years, read that last line, and smile.

So with a dash of parody and a healthy dose of sincerity, the NWOTM will perpetuate itself, and assuming I don't drink myself stupid one day (on too much grape soda and Diet Mountain Dew) I'll hopefully be writing about this stuff for another thirty years to come.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, in 30 years I'll be over fuckin 60 rockin my hospital bed to the tunes of classic Lich King i laughin at my grand grand kids for whatever crap they'll be listening. And asking nurse to whiplash me to the tunes of NNNWOTHRASHM. Thanks dude for the tunes of classic Lich King i laughin at my grand grand kids for whatever crap they'll be listening to. And asking nurse to whiplash me to the tunes of NNNWOTHRASHM. Thanks dude for few minutes of foresighting laught. keep thrashing.
    - old happy dog tunes of classic Lich King i laughin at my grand grand kids for whatever crap they'll be listening. And asking nurse to whiplash me to the tunes of NNNWOTHRASHM. Thanks dude for the tunes of classic Lich King i laughin at my grand grand kids for whatever crap they'll be listening to. And asking nurse to whiplash me to the tunes of NNNWOTHRASHM. Thanks dude for few minutes of foresighting laught. keep thrashing.
    - old happy dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning me, this post rocks! Yeah, I think it will be interesting to see where thrash goes from here and whether or not it will last more than a decade since the first wave only made it about that long. However even if it does die down I'm sure some kids will eventually come across some of these newer records and feel some inspiration to get the whole thing going again. And definitely stick to the soda as I'm sure you'll last longer on that than me on my beers, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome posts, both of you. It will be interesting to see what the Lenny Tr00 Frashers will say about all of us bands now!

    -Christopher "Atomic Thrasher"
    Insinnerator

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...